Saturday, September 12, 2020

A Legend in the Industry: Rayne Hall


Rayne Hall dishes on her latest: The Brides's Curse, a collection of Gothic Ghost and Horror Stories





AG: How did you come to write this book?

 

RH: Old buildings enchant me with their histories, their legends, their beauty. Near my home in Bulgaria I found many abandoned, derelict homes,  their roofs caved in, tiles shattered on the floors, with broken furniture sticking out of the rubble and remnants of tattered lace curtains fluttering in the wind.

 

Spending time in these buildings, I let my imagination wander and asked myself every writer's favourite question: "What if?"  What if someone had to spend the night in this house? What if the house wasn't really empty, because the dead residents still lingered as ghosts?

 

I wanted to share my love of Bulgaria, to invite them to visit these beautiful, eerie places with me, to experience the thrills from the safety of their armchairs. I wrote thirteen stories and gathered them in the book.



AG: Tell us a little about yourself and your writing

 

RH: I love to create spooky, suspenseful Horror stories in the Gothic tradition: more creepy than gory, more atmospheric than violent. I take readers to eerie places and let them experience spine-chilling adventures. Scaring readers is fun!

 

 

AG: What are your writing inspirations?

 

RH: Creepy places send my inspiration soaring: castle ruins, cemeteries, abandoned homes. Here in Bulgaria, the rural population is dwindling.  Many houses stand empty once their owners die, and gradually fall into disrepair and ruin. They often have an eerie beauty that draws me in. Who lived there in the past, and who or what haunts them now?

 

In a neglected orchard, abandoned for decades, overgrown with thorny blackberries, I found dolls hanging from the mulberry trees, their arms missing, the limbless torsos swaying in the wind. Who hung them there, and why?

 

One house in my neighbourhood was the location of a gruesome murder - a body was found dismembered in the freezer, apparently the work of a ghost.

 

Once I went on a winter walk and found a set of footprints leading right up to a bricked-up doorway. The trail footprints finished at the wall, didn't lead back or away. Where had that person gone to?

 

These kind of personal experiences - mysterious, creepy, spooky - feed my writerly imagination. My head is  constantly swirling with story ideas.

 



 

AG: Who created the illustrations?

 

Savina Mantovska is a Bulgarian artist. She drew the delightfully creepy pictures, one illustration for each story.

 

 

AG: Is this book part of a series?

 

I have written and published many short stories and gathered them in collections - including Thirty Scary Tales, one of my bestselling books. I plan to create more Bulgarian Gothic stories, and have indeed written the drafts for several already, so there'll definitely be another Bulgarian Gothic story collection coming.

 

 

 

AG: What project will you be working on next?

 

I'm always working on several books at once. I've penned drafts for another collection of Bulgarian Gothic stories, and I'm writing non-fiction books for my bestselling series of Writer's Craft guides.

I'm also working on a non-fiction guide for foreigners who live in (or want to emigrate to) Bulgaria.

 

AG: Do you write full time?

 

Yes, I write full time, mostly ghost and horror stories, and also non-fiction books. I started freelance writing in my spare time, then gradually built it into a part-time career, and eventually I took the plunge and made it my livelihood. This process took more than twenty years, during which I honed my skills to become a great writer, not just a good one. Year after year, I built a body of work, books I published years ago which continue to sell.

 

 

 

AG: One surprising or interesting fact about yourself.

 

My black cat Sulu loves to come for walks with me. Here in rural Bulgaria, it's safe for cats to be out of doors, and he enjoys exploring the sights, sounds and smells by the roadside. He joins me when I go rambling in the countryside, and he adores visiting abandoned houses. Often, he sits on the rafters looking down on me, or on an empty windowsill from where he can watch both me and the world outside.


However, there was one house he absolutely refused to enter. Whenever we went near it, his body stiffened, his back arched, and his fur stood up. Later, I found out that this house was haunted by an evil ghost. Do you think Sulu sensed something that I did not?

 


Rayne Hall writes fantasy, horror and non-fiction, and is the author of over seventy books. Her horror stories are more atmospheric than violent, and more creepy than gory.

Born and raised in Germany, Rayne has lived in China, Mongolia, Nepal and Britain. Now she resides in a village Bulgaria. The country's ancient Roman ruins and the deserted houses from Bulgaria’s communist period provide inspiration for creepy ghost and horror stories.

Her lucky black cat Sulu, adopted from the cat rescue shelter, often accompanies her on these exploration tours. He delights in walking across shattered roof tiles, balancing on charred rafters and sniffing at long-abandoned hearths.

Rayne has worked as an investigative journalist, development aid worker, museum guide, apple picker, tarot reader, adult education teacher, bellydancer, magazine editor, publishing manager and more, and now writes full time.

Her Book is available here: http://mybook.to/GothBG

 Rayne Hall Social Links 

Twitter https://twitter.com/RayneHall 

Website: raynehall.com 


40 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I am delighted to have you! Good luck with every endeavor.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your newest anthology. I can't wait to read it. I admire the way you are able to create such atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carole. I enjoy creating atmosphere - it's one of my favourite aspects of writing.

      Delete
  3. Rayne, just reading "about" your book makes this reader frightened. I like that you go for creepy and atmospheric above gory and violent. I've been wondering, do you ever scare yourself when you're in the process of writing one of these?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has happened sometimes, not often. There was one story, 'The Bridge Chamber' (in a previous book, not this one) where I scared myself so much that I had to stop writing. I had to wait ten days before could summon enough courage to continue writing.

      Delete
    2. Oh my. I can see that happening! I scare pretty easily. ;-(

      Delete
    3. Strangely, I find writing scary stories is a actually calming. When something frightens me, I weave a story around it. Putting it on paper puts me in control, and I no longer fear it. (With a few exceptions, like The Bridge Chamber.)

      Delete
  4. I love how your stories give me the shivers. Guess I'll be sleeping with the light on for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. After thorougly enjoying Thirty Scary Tales, I can't wait to read the Bulgarian gothic short stories. Keep up the good work, Rayne.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sulu not wanting to enter that house and you later finding it was haunted by an evil ghost gave me goosebumps. Did you return to the house?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think Sulu will enter that house until the ghost has moved on. My cat sometimes stood by the door looking out while their is no one outside, none that I can see

      Delete
    2. Yes, I visited that house again. But I confess I didn't stay long.

      Delete
  8. Have you ever felt a presence in any of your gothic settings? I notice above a comment where your cat Sulu was actually spooked, which is kind of interesting, yet creepy at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can feel 'vibes' in some of the locations. It's as if the walls - especially stone walls - store memories of what happened there. Sometimes, the vibes are friendly, and I feel good walking around those rooms. But some buildings have distinctly evil vibes. I remember an abandoned sanatorium where I could feel that something evil had taken place, but I never found out what happened there.

      Delete
  9. I'm always fascinated and wondered about things that had transpired in old and abandon buildings. Although Where am from, we only have abandon or uncompleted buildings, and I always felt spooky creatures must be living in them. I really admired your courage visiting those places. Keep us the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't feel that there is any danger in entering abandoned buildings. Most of them seem friendly and welcoming, and I don't need courage. (Well, I need to be careful that sections of a collapsed roof don't fall onto my head.) -- Very rarely do I sense that there is a presence, and it seems to be more a memory than an spirit, and it's usually a friendly one. There were a few places where I sensed something malevolent, and I left those fast.

      Delete
  10. I'd love to write some of your books, Rayne! Where do you live in Bulgaria? Some village or small town? I think you should deffinitelly go visit Buzludzha if you haven't yet. It could inspire you for new stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live in a village - Kirilovo in Yambol Province in southeast Bulgaria, just north of the town of Elhovo. I would love to visit Buzludzha, but I believe it's now closed for renovations.

      Delete
  11. I love how you have used your surroundings to inspire you. On my way home from work, there is an abandoned old building that gives me the spooks just driving past it and when I am stuck in traffic, I find myself thinking about what has happened in that building. Reading about your book has given me new ideas about what has happened in that dodge and scary looking place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you curious to find out what really happened there?

      Delete
    2. Maybe not knowing and letting their imagination run free is what makes the place scarier. Often times the scenarios we create are more terrifying than reality.

      Delete
    3. That's true. I find that the best recipe for writing my stories is to use one part truth and nine parts imagination, stir and simmer. :-)

      Delete
    4. That's true. I find that the best recipe for writing my stories is to use one part truth and nine parts imagination, stir and simmer. :-)

      Delete
  12. I am always fascinated to read about haunted buildings and creepy places but I am curious, how did that become your inspiration to write?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I write stories full of atmosphere, and old buildings have a lot of atmosphere - creepy and sad, romantic and intriguing. I like to visit abandoned places, soak up the atmosphere, observe details, and ask myself questions: who lived there and what happened to them? Who might spend time in this deserted home, and why? I always get a lot of story ideas this way.

      Delete
  13. For me, it's always fascinating to learn about the creative process and how it develops. Regarding this, I had a question: with run down / derelict houses often having some sort of story or urban legend attached to them, have you ever considered using these bits of gossip or folklore as part of the story?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Many of my stories are inspired by local legends. I try to look at those legends from different perspectives, and think about what really might have happened. Then I write a story in which I change the appearance and location of that place so much that it's no longer recognisable, and I write a story that's not a retelling of the myth, but a new tale inspired by the tradition.

      Delete
  14. As an Eastern european, I was wondering, is there anything that you found different or unique about Bulgaria (or just Souteastern Europe in general) when it comes to inspiration for your stories?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've lived in Bulgaria for three years now. Before that, I lived in Germany and Britain. What struck me about Bulgaria from the beginning is how many homes, farms, factories and public buildings are abandoned and left to fall into ruin. For a writer of Gothic fiction - creepy, suspenseful ghost and horror stories - deserted, abandoned buildings are a gift of inspiration. --- Where in Eastern Europe do you live? Does your country have a lot of abandoned homes, too?

      Delete
    2. I'm from Romania. Not that many abandoned house, but plenty of other relics from the communist era. I'm sure Bulgaria still has some of these too - dilapidated hangers and warehouses, obsolete heating stations, crumbling factory buildings, forgotten railway stations. To be honest, they were pretty interesting to explore as a kid, but terribly unsafe.

      Delete
    3. There are abandoned factories - most villages used to have at least one small factory, and those are empty now. Also abandoned schools, closed because there are no longer enough children in the villages. Near where I live is an abandoned railway line, and the stations are falling into ruin. I've seen one obsolete heating station (in a city). Something you may not have in Bulgaria is abandoned sanatoriums. Bulgaria has many thermal mineral springs, and during the communist era, they were used to provide healing for workers who got to stay in spa sanatoriums for weeks. Now the state no longer pays for spa treatment, only rich people can afford to stay in sanatoriums, and most of the sanatoriums closed. They are the eeriest places I've seen. Maybe one day I'll write a story about one of those.

      Delete
  15. Around this time of year, when the days are getting shorter and greyer, there's nothing better than to cosy up with a good book and a lazy cat :) And for some reason (maybe the autumn mood, maybe the Halloween preparations), I find myself more often than not reaching for a mystery or a horror novel. I was wondering, how does someone with such a long career find new inspiration or new creative sources?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sulu is black cat he certainly knows the best :) It sounds like you need just a hint to make a great story. If you are searching for empty houses for inspiration come and visit Serbia :) Or you have already done that?

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is rumoured that most lonely and haunted houses have this eerie presence in them as soon as you step in, this is a reason most people choose to stay away from such buildings. Did you ever feel this way in any of the scary buildings?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Having lived in Eastern Europe for a long time, so many things in the writeup feel so familiar. I am glad I get to read your stories from the safety of my home, how did you still have courage to stay and explore, even after Sulu definitely sensed something eerie?

    ReplyDelete